Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bureaucracy, Birds, and Barbarians

We left for Singapore on Monday evening to finalize our 1 year Indonesian visas.  Singapore is a small country which has only been independent for 45 years.  In those short years, it has become one of the most prosperous countries in the world.  It is a small island country north of Indonesia and south of Malaysia.  
   
Having trouble finding it?  Let's zoom in....alot.         



We have spent most of our time here at the Indonesian Embassy waiting in lines and filling out forms.  We are learning that anything official moves slower than snails in Indonesia.  We were told the ministry of research and science (RISTEK) needed us to report to an embassy on June 29th.  So like good little boys and girls, we rearranged our flights and reported here.  
First problem..... immigration failed to send our sponsorship letter.  "Please come back tomorrow," says the nice lady.  Second problem.... our sponsorship letter arrived on the 30th at 2pm - 30 minutes after visa application acceptance closes.  "Please come back tomorrow," repeats the same, polite lady.  Today, we were finally able to have our visas processed.  Though, our return flight to Jakarta departed while we were having new photos taken.  Now we just have to wait 2 business days to pick up our visas.  Looks like we will be hanging in Singapore for the weekend and booking new return flights!!   

Since we are here, we are taking in as much of Singapore as possible.  One of the places we checked out was the Jurong Bird Park.  It is an entire zoo dedicated to birds and is famous for its expansive, open exhibits.  Colby LOVES birds!  We couldn't get him to take his eyes off of the flamingoes - even to smile for a family photo! 

The birds were numerous and stunning. 
A scarlet ibis...

Some Victoria crowned pigeons...

 Colby particularly enjoyed the Lory Loft where he could get up-close and personal with some parrot-type birds.  

There were 1,000 lories in this aviary flying about our heads and climbing along the railings looking for visitors to offer them some honey water.  Colby didn't quite know which way to run with all of the birds to chase after!

Poor thing was so exhausted he screeched at some rather large birds of prey (thank goodness for chain-link) and completely passed out.  Chris and I were excited that we had rented a wagon for him to ride around in!

With Colby fast asleep, We continued to walk through the enormous park and found the largest pelicans I have ever seen. 

Seriously gigantic.  Look at the wingspan on these things!

Just after the pelicans, as we passed the african grassland exhibit we saw these birds hanging out on a rock. 

I looked everywhere for a placard for some information.  What are those things hanging from under their chins? I don't know if you can see it in the photo, but that bird is dropped on his legs.  His (or her?) feet are hanging off the edge of the rock.  He/she is standing on elbows or knees!! 

Well, I have told you about bureaucracy and birds.  Now for the barbarians.... actually,  just one barbarian.  (Mom, Dad - while reading this, please remember I am 30 years old, married, and have a child.)  

We are staying in a neighborhood called Little India.  As we walk to and from the subway, the smell of curry is intense.  Everywhere you look you see saris and intricate gold jewelry for sale.  I finally gave in and did something I have been thinking about doing for almost a year.  

That is a tear in my eye.  I had it manually pierced, because I wanted a diamond stud.  The guy behind the counter said it didn't hurt at all - "only a pinch," he said.  I started to get nervous as I watched them file the post of the stud to a sharp point.  It hurt.  Alot.  I may have yelled liar at the nice Indian man behind the counter.  I now have 6 piercings on my face (5 in my ears).  I have no intentions have becoming Elaine Davidson, but I am pleased with my new addition.  

2 comments:

  1. The one thing I remember about Singapore is ... don't litter. I think they treat litterers like thieves...very harshly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina
    You are in the part of Singapore I love to shop in! (J's family is from Singapore so I have been there 3 times and plan to go back for my friend's wedding). I love your blog. You did a beautiful job describing your experiences. Your nose ring looks awesome. I am glad to see you are well despite all the struggles. -Pras

    ReplyDelete