Monday, September 27, 2010

Tidak Orangtuya


Bukit Sunyi, where we live, is home to 3 schools for older children (akin to junior high and high schools). Everyday I see children walk past the house carrying large jugs of water or bundles of kindling. These children are much too small for the schools on the hill, and they are not wearing school uniforms. They are a little dusty and careworn. Their clothes are tattered, dirty and often too large, and most do not have any shoes on. These children are orphans. Either they have tidak orangtuya (no parents), or were turned over because their parents could not afford to care for them. Regardless, all 39 of them live in an orphanage near our house.


My heart breaks every time they walk past, which happens several times a day. They walk from the orphanage past our house about half a mile for water. Sometimes they are carrying sticks covered with grasshoppers. I asked one boy, probably 7 years old, what he was going to do with all of those grasshoppers. He proceeded to explain how delicious grasshoppers are fried (belalang goreng). I think I’ll take his word for it.
Other times, they have collected payapa flowers or banana blooms – also good for eating. I can attest to the tastiness of these treats since Novi and Esty regularly pick these from the field across the street.

These children are always very polite and eager to chat. They like to stop and say hello to Colby. They are particularly excited if he comes out and brings his ball to play with them. We played an impromptu game of volleyball using our fence as a net the other day.


I enjoy seeing all of their dirty, little faces light up. I wish I could bring them all inside for a bath and a good meal. I have always imagined the family I would build as large. For many reasons (social, ethical, and medical), I will not be genetically responsible for all members of this potential clan. I have always wanted to foster or adopt a child in need of a family. Before we left for Indonesia, I actually looked into adopting a child while we are here. Unfortunately, I don’t think it is possible given all of the requirements. The Indonesian government does not seem so keen on international adoptions. I had accepted the fact that adoption was not yet in the cards for us, but I never imagined there would actually be children in need of a home literally in my backyard.

Did I mention my breaking heart? 


Chris, who is concerned I might end up in jail for child trafficking, continually attempts to convince me that what we are doing here is enough. Not only are we helping with the fight against a disease that kills millions of children every year, we are also supporting the local economy here. We are supporting local farmers and artisans, employing 2 locals in our house, and hiring locals from the field site almost everyday. (I am listing it here more to convince myself than anyone else.) I still can’t help but feel that the universe has placed me in this location for a reason. Hopefully, that reason is something more than just to torture my bleeding heart.

I have come up with an idea that, so far, doesn’t make Chris twitch. I think I can do something to better their lot in life without getting arrested. Children under the age of six should not be lugging heavy, dirty jugs of water in their bare feet for a kilometer. I want to get them a well. I know this idea sounds huge. I know it might not work, but I have to try. Every child, no matter where they live, should have access to clean, drinkable water. Don’t worry... I have a plan.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Water! I think Mr. Lister works with a non-profit about water. A good friend of mine started a non-profit that builds water systems in rural Nicaragua. I'm sorry it took me this long to re-find your travel weblog but I'm certainly enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete