Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Day!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I like Turkey Day much, much more than Christmas.  I know many of you think I am crazy, but well that's how it is.  In Christina's world, Thanksgiving is cool and Christmas drools...well, perhaps I am overstating...

Anyways... today is the first day in Sumba I feel homesick.  During this adventure, I have missed things from home.  I'll be honest - mostly food. Pizza, cheese, hamburgers, yogurt, pretzels, etc.  But today, on my favorite holiday, I miss my family.  I miss the craziness that happens in Southeastern Ohio.  I miss fighting for the last piece of pumpkin pie only to find out that my Mom has hidden a secret pie in the laundry room  in case we run short.  I miss the laughter, and the stories.  I miss loading in the car after all of the food has been consumed and heading to the mall to see a late night movie with some of my cousins.  So Gibbs Clan, have fun deep-frying the turkey and save a piece of pie for me. 

Regardless of my location (and the fact that no one in Sumba has ever heard of Thanksgiving or pecan pie), I am still thankful for many things today.  I am thankful for my loving husband and my happy, healthy son.  I am thankful for an extended family that is supportive, caring, and doesn't think I am crazy (well at least they don't say it to my face!).  I am thankful for the opportunity to learn new skills, and meet new people.  Most of all, I am thankful that I can afford a pair of shoes. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

2 comments:

  1. Christina, Chris and Colby, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by anonymous, I meant Tim.

    ReplyDelete