Wednesday, June 23, 2010

YARN!

Sorry for the delay in posting.  We have limited internet access recently and then I had a bout with food poisoning.  All better now, so I will put up a post I have had ready for a few days now.  I will update again very soon with a post about our time in East Bali on Mendira beach!
 
Warning: This post, in its entirety, is about yarn and all things fiber.  Read on if you should desire, but if you are not “into” the fiber arts – I don’t want to hear about it!

While in Ubud, we visited a little shop/gallery for Threads of Life.  This magnificent organization helps rural villages on various Indonesian islands to earn a living by selling their textiles for a fair price.  They promote quality over quantity.  They insist that the techniques and materials used are sustainable, and encourage villagers to used traditional techniques and motifs. 

In this little (air-conditioned!) shop, they had displays of plants used for natural dyeing like this tree root that produces a red color.


There were also samples of the yarns used hanging above my head, and wound into fantastic balls.
   
Once I was able to pull myself together (I have not seen or touched yarn in weeks.  I was experiencing withdrawal!), I saw this:

Chris said I was drooling a little at this point.  All I know is that I MUST have one.  As soon as I find a local craftsman to commission one from, I will.  I am assuming I will be asking for several swifts since I know some other individuals who are salivating as they read this (Don’t worry – I will post information when I have it on Ravelry). 

Among the other artifacts on display, was a loom complete with an unfinished cloth.  This black and white checkered design is quite traditional.  In the Hindu culture, white represents good while black represents evil.  Having them on the same cloth represents the balance between good and evil that exists in the world and must be respected.
   

Next I ventured downstairs where some of the traditional weavings were displayed for sale.  They had small cloths (table runner size) and elaborate tapestries fit for a queen like the one below.  This piece is a traditional tubular sarong made in Rindi, Sumba, by the Queen of Rindi herself.  The motifs are represent horse hooves, a symbol of royalty.  This particular sarong was priced at 8,500,000 rp. (or roughly $900 USD). 

Rindi is one of two villages on Sumba that has a Threads of Life weaving cooperatives.  Both villages are on the Eastern part of the island and we will be living on the Northwestern side.  The docents at the Ubud shop said that visitors are welcome to visit the co-op in Rindi.  The Queen is the leader of the co-op and is always delighted to talk to visitors.  I can picture it now....
Christina:  Hi Queen of Rindi! (I suppose some sort of courtesy would be appropriate.)
Queen: Selamat datang (welcome)!
Christina: These tapestries are beautiful.  Would you teach me all of your village secrets regarding traditional ikat weaving and natural dyeing?
Queen: Tidak, bisa Bahasa Inggris.  (I don’t speak English.)
Christina: Selamat pagi.  Apa kabar? Di mana kamar kecil? (Good morning. How are you?  Where is the bathroom?)
Queen: Kiring (to the right)
Christina: Terima kasih (Thanks)

Perhaps, I should practice some more.....

3 comments:

  1. Great read. Thanks for the updates. Fun to see where your friends have gone. Gods Blessings to you and your family. You are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are causing massive drool outbreaks in Mill Valley and environs. Drool tsunami alert for Sumba. What a swift!

    I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Love your posts. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the Shiva swift is amazing! And the sarong, while pricey, is gorgeous! So, did you buy any yarn? Does the co-op offer classes?

    Gail is right...drool outbreak in Marin!

    ReplyDelete