Thursday, March 10, 2011

Randomness from over here

·         I saw a man covered in rubber bands -around his feet, hands, and across his eyes so they couldn’t open all the way.  Weird.  I could only think about my grandmother using rubber bands to castrate cats. 

·         I think Starbucks is the most wonderfully delicious example of impending world domination, but they aren’t working fast enough.

·         Even though it has been several months since I saw a man riding a horse down the main road in Waitabula with motorbikes zooming past him and his face completely covered by a black knit cap (including his eyes), I still wonder if he made it to his destination. (Did he even have a physical destination or perhaps only a death wish?)

·         Just a few days ago, I saw a boy of about 10 years walking down the main road with black tape across his eyes.  All I could think was perhaps he knows the horse guy.

·         Random Sumbanese person: Hello Mister!  Where are you going?  Where you come from?
Me: My name is not mister.  I am going somewhere and I came from over there.

·         I am amazed at how many people I have met with absolutely nothing, but the largest smiles I have ever seen.  Do they really need anything else?

·         Question: How many people can you fit in a bemo bus? 
Answer: It depends on how many people you put on top and how many can hang off       
the rack.

·         Justin Bieber has successfully infiltrated Indonesia - to my dismay, more successfully than Starbucks.    

·         I can’t figure out why everyone here always ties a rope around a pig’s leg to take to the market and then seem annoyed the now hopping pig is not going fast enough.  I can’t walk very fast with one leg being yanked along either.

·         Pigs don’t like to ride on the tops of bemos.  They try to jump off, but since one foot is tied they only ever manage to dangle.    

·         I didn’t know there were so many ways to make your own toys.  Really, there is no reason to buy plastic, mostly-disposable toys when there are tires and sticks, rope, and old cans and bottles to make play things with.  Seriously creative!

·         A woman can get pregnant in Sumba faster than a teenager in the back of her boyfriend’s car. 

 




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Wonderful news. Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what happens when you lose 15 pounds!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! So, so excited for you all!

    ReplyDelete