Thursday, March 24, 2011

Saying Goodbye


 In light of recent discoveries (i.e. a new Nixon in the incubator), Chris and I think it is best if my Indonesia adventure is cut short.  So I am saying goodbye this week.  Colby, and I are flying to San Francisco on the 28th (via Japan) and then on to Ohio to spend some time with my family.  Chris will stay in Sumba for about another month to finish a census of a second study site.  The rest of our work can be done anywhere there is a good internet connect.... which ironically eliminates Sumba! 

Whirlwind preparations have occurred over the past couple of weeks.  I have done my best to wrap things up and make arrangements for projects to carry on without me.  For instance, my friend Pelipus (aka Om Lipu) will be taking over Operation Dig at the orphanage.  He already has construction underway. 

(I intend on posting on the SYI blog in the next few days with a more extensive update.  Much has been happening at the orphanage and I haven't quite got it all summarized!)

I have given Om Lipu the official title of On-Site Manager.  I am confident that he will do an excellent job and will be invaluable if SYI is to have a future. 

I have sorted through our clothes and given most of them away along with most of Colby’s toys.  Contacts have been solidified and farewells handed out.  It is at once sad and exciting.  I always feel a bit of remorse at the close of one chapter.  Think of all the things I couldn’t do, of all the projects left undone.  Along with this ruefulness, I also feel elated about what has been accomplished.  It truly has been a good year.  I have learned more than I thought possible in one year and I have met some of the most interesting, intelligent, and kindhearted people who call this hemisphere home.  

Looking ahead...
Colby, and I have a long journey ahead of us next week.  We will be stopping in San Francisco for 2 days to gather our wits, wash our smelly selves, and try and adjust to the rapid time change.  We will then make our way to Ohio on the 30th of March.  I am looking forward to some much needed family time with my...um... “interesting” relatives.  (Oh!  Don’t look at me like that!  You all know you’re crazy!  I wouldn’t want you to be any other way J!)   Once Chris joins us in Ohio, we will head back to New England in early May.  It will be wonderful to spend some time with his parents in the Cape!  We always have such a wonderful time there!!  We will move back into our house in RI sometime around the 1st of June. 

Okay, that catches everyone up on the immediate travel plans.  If we will be in your part of the world and you want to see us, give me a shout and I will do what I can to make it happen. 

So what’s next?  Is this the end of Nomadic Nixons??  NO WAY!!!  I have had an absolute blast writing about our comings and goings.  (I hope you have enjoyed reading them.)  Besides, I have a backlog of posts about our Sumba adventure, AND I highly doubt this Nixon tribe has given up its nomadic ways.  I think we have only just begun.....

3 comments:

  1. if there is any chance you'll be near chicago, i'd LOVE to see you.

    and i enjoy your blogs:)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's bittersweet news! i hope your family is well. aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lady, when can we expect a Nomadic Update? what, do you have a lot going on or something??? xoxox

    ReplyDelete